Home remedies & medicine have been around for centuries. The development we have seen in this area is remarkable. A lot of people now are highly health-conscious and would rather rely on chemical-based pills. Home remedies are a really great first aid. We decided to interview Dr. Pooja Gupte, owner of Shashwat Ayurveda in Thane. She has completed her MD in Ayurveda from YMT medical college and hospital. She has been in this industry for a considerable amount of time now. Ayurveda isn’t her only interest. If you see that her clinic is closed, then is probably wandering in the valleys of northeast India. Here is her full interview:
In this article you'll learn about
- 1. Quick Introduction
- 2. What is your take on home remedies? Are they useful?
- 3. Are all home remedies ayurvedic?
- 4. Do you think that home remedies are the ultimate solution or are they just a first aid?
- 5. How important do you think it is for people to know their anatomy?
- 6. How does Home remedies help people?
- 7. What home remedies according to you work the best for – 1) Cold, 2) Cough, 3) Skincare, 4) Haircare, 5) Acidity & Gases.
- 8. Do you have any other home remedies which have worked the best in your experience?
- 9. What is your take on essential oils? Do they really work?
- 10. What things should one do to have a jolly good life, according to you?
1. Quick Introduction
Hi Dr. Pooja, can you briefly introduce yourself?
Hello! I am an Ayurvedic Physician and Panchakarma specialist practicing in Thane for the last 4 years. Along with that, I conduct health and wellness workshops for groups and companies for lifestyle changes and health issues.
2. What is your take on home remedies? Are they useful?
Yes. Home remedies are extremely useful. These have been tried and tested for centuries and have proven effective. Though the use of home remedies has reduced in the urban population, it is still widely relevant in rural areas. Lack of knowledge and time have led these home remedies to take a back seat in today’s society. Everybody wants quick results, even if it costs health in the long term. Rest is considered as a second option nowadays. Most of the people find popping pills and going to work a better option.
3. Are all home remedies ayurvedic?
No. Not all of them have their base in Ayurveda. Though Ayurveda remains the base of most of the home remedies. However, we also have influence from Unani medicine, owing to the Mughal rule in India.
4. Do you think that home remedies are the ultimate solution or are they just a first aid?
As far as small-time issues are concerned, it is okay to go with the home remedies. For example, primary medicine for acidity, cough or cold can be a simple home-based decoction. But if the issue increases after some time, it is necessary to consult the expert to find out the root cause of illness, which may go ignored for a long while. As far as serious issues and chronic disorders are concerned, it is always better to seek help.
5. How important do you think it is for people to know their anatomy?
It is important. However, it is more important to know the physiology of the body. It is also very important to understand the fact that not every human is the same, and not everyone’s health is the same. What works for one person might not be helpful for the other person. This is due to the difference in “Prakriti” from person to person. Prakruti is the trait formed by the combination of the doshas (Vata, Pitta and, Kapha) at the moment of creation (zygote stage), which later determines the nature of your body. Click here to know more about Prakriti.
So in short, it is very important to understand what works for oneself and act likewise.
6. How does Home remedies help people?
Home remedies can act as a primary line of treatment. Small symptoms like cough, cold, acidity can be treated well by these. Even though science has advanced, keeping cold cloths on the forehead during fever still works wonders. It is very important in places where medical help is not easily available. It is also very helpful to people who travel abroad and find it difficult or unaffordable to get themselves treated there. However, it is important to have complete knowledge of the remedy that a person is taking. Half knowledge may lead to blunders and may aggravate the symptoms.
7. What home remedies according to you work the best for – 1) Cold, 2) Cough, 3) Skincare, 4) Haircare, 5) Acidity & Gases.
I would frankly say all of them. However, we have a wide range of home remedies available for stomach related ailments.
Acidity & Gases – The small act of eating ajwain while suffering from flatulence (gases) helps in curing the problem.
Cold & cough – Decoctions of cinnamon, tulsi, and other herbs are very useful in cold and cough.
Digestion – The act of eating a small piece of ginger with salt (saindhav) was a well-established practice in ancient India for proper digestion. It is still relevant amongst many people. However, it should be avoided by people who suffer from hyperacidity. These intricate details are very important to know. Hence, it is advisable to consult an expert before practicing something.
Skincare – The act of applying fruit peels to skin for a healthy and glowing skin has been practiced and proven successful for ages now.
Haircare – Many of us may not know, but rubbing almond oil or coconut oil to the soles while sleeping helps in reducing hair fall to a great extent. It also leads to peaceful sleep. Putting a few drops of almond oil in the umbilical region also helps in curing hair fall. However, many times, hair fall is associated with some deficiency or imbalance in the body. The root cause needs to be treated, hair fall would reduce on its own.
8. Do you have any other home remedies which have worked the best in your experience?
- Yes, considering the season, let’s begin with winter care. Consuming methi seeds, watercress seeds (aleev) with coconut in the form of laddoo, flax seeds help to maintain body heat and moisture. They should be consumed regularly. However, it should be avoided by people who have hyperacidity problems and people who have heat issues.
- While stepping out in summers, it is advisable to keep at least a little bit of gulkand in your mouth. As long as the gulkand remains in the mouth, you won’t suffer from the scorching heat. However, it has to be avoided by diabetics.
- Half a spoon of amla and half a spoon of turmeric is known to lower the sugar levels in the body and can be used as an adjuvant in the ongoing therapy. However, it has to be avoided by people suffering from arthritis.
- The act of applying turmeric to meat is not only for the taste but for its antiseptic properties. Hence it is also used as a primary home remedy in wounds.
- Lubricating the nose with cow ghee while sleeping helps reduce the snoring problem.
- Applying oil to soles before sleeping keeps eyesight healthy and also cures hair fall.
9. What is your take on essential oils? Do they really work?
Yes. Essential oils work when applied or consumed. Most of the essential oils in soaps and shampoos helps in moisturizing and keeping the skin healthy and glowing. They are also known to lift the mood.
To know more about essential oils, check out other articles:
10. What things should one do to have a jolly good life, according to you?
- Eat fresh and healthy food. Food is the most important part of our routine. What we eat and how we eat affects us physically and emotionally.
- Exercise. In today’s sedentary life, it is very important to exercise. It is important to keep lifestyle disorders at a bay. A good workout at the start of the day leads to a fresh day throughout.
- Meditate. We often ignore our mental health over everything. Meditation not only increases the concentration power, but it also helps in calming the nerves. It is very important to sit calm and concentrate for a while amidst the hectic life.
- Have empathy and gratitude 🙂
So, friends, I hope you have gained a lot of new information about home remedies from this interview. In our next article on home remedies, we’ll show you some DIYs that work wonders.
If you have any other questions, write them down in the comment section below. We will get them answered ASAP.