The Internet is basically a poutine of information. While Google does an amazing job of answering all of our queries, but sometimes, we cannot find the answer we are looking for. So keeping this thought in mind, we have made a short FAQ on fitness Trackers that will answer all your major questions.
In this article you'll learn about
- 14 Common Questions About Fitness Trackers
- 1. How do fitness Trackers work?
- 2. Will the fitness band work with my iPhone?
- 3. Are Fitness trackers Accurate?
- 4. Can fitness bands work without your phone?
- 5. Can I answer calls with my fitness trackers?
- 6. How accurate is the calorie counter in fitness bands?
- 7. Do fitness trackers increase physical activity?
- 8. Are Fitness bands waterproof?
- 9. How tight should the fitness band be?
- 10. How does Fitness band Measure Blood pressure?
- 11. Which is the Best Fitness tracker?
- 12. How To choose the Best Fitness band for yourself?
- 13. Which is the Best Budget Fitness Tracker?
- 14. Which is the best fitness tracker for sports?
14 Common Questions About Fitness Trackers
1. How do fitness Trackers work?
Smart bands have a bunch of sensors that help in processing the information based on algorithms to give out data that the user needs. There are sensors like:
- Accelerometer – it helps in Tracking the steps.
- Gyroscope – Helps in determining the body position (sleeping, standing, sleeping).
- GPS – It tracks the location.
- Optical Heart Rate Sensors – Helps in measuring the heart rate.
- Thermometers – Gives out temperature reading based on location.
- Galvanic Skin Response Sensor – This sensor helps in determining the activity we are doing based on precipitation on the skin.
- Bioimpedance Sensors – It measures the changes in heart rate and respiration rate.
- PPG & ECG – These two sensors help in measuring the blood pressure of an individual.
All these sensors combined with the ability to receive notifications, set alarms, and even listen to music in some models, make these bands fully functional. The fitness bands with the help of these sensors collect data, process it, and display it to the user in an understandable manner in the mobile app.
2. Will the fitness band work with my iPhone?
Yes, all Fitness bands work on both Android and IOS devices.
3. Are Fitness trackers Accurate?
Fitness bands are rapidly improving. There is a new development for almost every couple of months. But not all of these improvements are focused on improving the accuracy of these devices. Most smart bands are pretty accurate when it comes to measuring the steps, but the other activities are yet to reach the mark. Even the step counting is not 100% accurate. In fact, all fitness trackers either overestimate or underestimate the results by a margin of 5-8%. For example, Fitbit overestimates the results by 10-15 steps more, according to the company, this helps the user in staying motivated as they are achieving their daily goals.
4. Can fitness bands work without your phone?
Yes, fitness bands will work without your phone. But, for the fitness band to understand your data and your goals, you will first have to pair it with your phone and then sync it with the fitness app. Some of the fitness bands do not have a GPS chip, so you might have to carry your phone with you if you want to track that early run, or see the distance you travelled on your cycle.
5. Can I answer calls with my fitness trackers?
Smartwatches like Apple watches allow you to answer calls on the smart device itself as these have a built-in microphone and a speaker. With fitness trackers, you’ll receive notifications and you’ll be able to reject the calls, but taking calls is not possible on most fitness trackers.
6. How accurate is the calorie counter in fitness bands?
The Galvanic Skin response sensor, heart rate sensors, and bioimpedance sensors combine their data based on fixed algorithms that give out the results for the calories burnt. The data that even the most expensive fitness band will give you about the calories burnt may not be 100% accurate. Because the way these metrics are collected is not the right way. Yes, it will give you the result but it won’t be accurate.
7. Do fitness trackers increase physical activity?
A Fitness tracker does not increase your physical activity, it only motivates you to be active. It doesn’t happen that, you buy a fitness tracker and suddenly you are training like Cristiano Ronaldo. The metrics from the tracker just give you a push. Whether you want to have a healthy lifestyle, be fit, increase your physical activity, it all depends on you. Fitness bands are mere tools that help you in your journey.
Here are some tips to work for your weight-loss goals with fitness trackers:
- You must use the tracker to get your basic step and then set a goal to go 2,000-3,000 steps higher.
- It should be used as a motivational tool to encourage movement and as a historical record. This perspective may keep you from falling off the wagon because of “all or nothing” thinking.
- Use the information from the tracker as a guide but not as permission to throw dietary discretion out the window.
8. Are Fitness bands waterproof?
Yes, most of the bands that are available in the market now are waterproof. That means you can even go swimming with them. But make sure that you know the difference between water-resistant and waterproof. Water-resistant means it’ll resist some splashes of water and waterproof means you can dive with it until a certain height. Even though the band is waterproof, it is advisable that you remove your band while bathing, as dirt and dust can get accumulated between the capsule and the case and over time it can lead to a lot of problems.
9. How tight should the fitness band be?
The strap of the smart band will mostly be quite comfortable. After using it for 3-4 days you will get use to it. That being said, the tightness actually depends on how comfortable you are with the band. Just make sure it isn’t so loose that it’ll fall off while you exercise or so that you end up getting a rash.
10. How does Fitness band Measure Blood pressure?
The fitness bands use PPG and ECG sensors combined to get a better and more accurate reading of the blood pressure. PPG is Photoplethysmography, this word literally means measuring a change in volume with the help of light. So this sensor measures the changes in the blood volume with light that penetrates our arteries.
Fitness bands also use ECG to monitor your heart. ECG is Electrocardiography. It measures the activity of our heart with the help of electrodes present on our skin. It sends small electronic pulses which it uses to analyse the heart rate and combine it with PPG to give out Blood Pressure readings.
These readings are by no means 100% accurate. They are just meant to give the user an idea about his/her overall health. The readings from these devices are not medically accurate, so it’s better you get yourselves checked regularly.
11. Which is the Best Fitness tracker?
There are a lot of great fitness trackers out there and a lot of them are super expensive. It is obvious that the more expensive it is, the better it is. But we also know that sometimes these things are overrated. So we have decided a range until which the bands will be worth the price we pay, It’s Below Rs. 16,000. So the best fitness tracker under this range is obviously Fitbit Versa 2.
12. How To choose the Best Fitness band for yourself?
To choose the fitness tracker that suits your needs the best, you’ll have to ask yourself a few questions, after which you’ll have a clear idea of which fitness band will suit you the best. Here are the questions that you must ask yourself:
- What is my budget?
- Which type of workout am I comfortable with?
- What do I actually want to track?
- Will be better off with just fitness bands?
13. Which is the Best Budget Fitness Tracker?
The best budget fitness tracker available in India right now is Mi band 4. This smart band from the Chinese giant Xiaomi has literally taken the whole country by storm, and there is good reason behind it. The band is pretty accurate in terms of tracking, has a great colour display, an insane battery life of upto 20days, and it’s also waterproof. All this for just Rs. 2299/-. Amazing right? You can buy this device on Amazon – Mi band 4.
14. Which is the best fitness tracker for sports?
The Garmin Vivo Active 3 is the best multi-sport fitness tracker available in the market right now. It is more of a fitness tracker and less of a smartwatch. Garmin Vivo Active 3 is an absolute beast when it comes to tracking your fitness.
- Vivo Active 3 is a really lightweight fitness tracker, hence the best for sports.
- The Garmin Vivo Active 3 has a 24/7 heart rate monitoring.
- It has a wide range of sports which you can choose and track your activity. Garmin Vivo Active 3 tracks all these activities like golf, swimming, indoor fitness machines, etc. For a wearable tracker, it does a really great job.
- Garmin Vivo Active 3 also has a few advanced fitness tracking metrics like VO2, Fitness Age, Stress, Lactate Threshold, etc.
These are the most common and most asked questions about fitness bands. If you want us to make more such FAQs let us know in the comments below.
To know more about fitness bands, check out our other articles in the ‘Health’ section.