The weather can be harsh at times which forces our children to stay at home. If given a choice they’d still go out, but we don’t want them falling sick. But when kids are asked to stay indoors they are not too fond of it, because they know they can’t play around much.
Playtime for children is the best thing that they can have during their day. After a long day at school and other classes, all they wanna do is play.
Playing games is not only fun, but it helps children learn a ton of new things and habits.
Here are 9 games/activities you can do with your kids and their friends indoors when they can’t go out. These activities are suitable for toddlers too.
In this article you'll learn about
Indoor Fun – 9 Games/Activities for Kids & Toddlers
1. Magic carpet challenge
Okay, this is probably the most fun game in this list. The magic carpet challenge is a really fast-paced game that kids will enjoy.
Here’s what you will need:
- Duct tape (coloured)
- Small door mats or carpets. The recommended size is of 24 inches (length) by 18 inches (width)
- A timer
- A judge
- And most importantly, more than 4-10 people, for splitting up teams.
How to play:
- Make two lines with the help of coloured tape roughly 10ft (or the maximum free space you have) apart from each other in the living room.
- Make sure there is enough room for 3 people to stand behind these lines at a time.
- Next, divide the kids into 2 teams of equal numbers. Now both teams will split up equally and stand next to each other behind the lines. See the image to understand better.
- Now the first person from the starting line will sit on the carpet and move it without using their hands.
- The game is played like a relay. Since members of the same are behind both lines.
This game works out the core muscles as well as boosts teamwork in children. Not to mention the ability to motivate oneself as well as others.
2. Name place animal thing
The classic boredom killer. Name place animal thing was literally one of my favorite indoor games. The game is super fun and educational at the same time. It tests the general knowledge of kids as well as their creativity. Here’s how you play the game (you need at least 4 players):
- First, write all 26 letters on different chits and mix them in a bowl.
- Pick up one random chit. And use the letter on the chit as your staring letter.
- From this letter, all the players have to write 1 name of a person, 1 place, 1 thing and 1 animal.
- Whoever finishes first starts counting to 20.
- 10 points are awarded for every correct name and 5 points are awarded if the names are repeated between two contestants. 0 points are awarded if the animal, place, thing or the name does not exist.
This is a fun indoor game that the whole family can play including the toddlers. Carrom greatly improves the eye-hand coordination of children. It also improves their judgement and aim. A small carrom board would be a great start for your kids. You can buy one on Amazon with this link – GSI Shiny Gloss Finish Carrom Board
4. Indoor bowling
I’ve always wanted a game room when I was a kid. So I use to make up some DIYs with my friends and pretend like it was one. One DIY that I still remember is the DIY indoor bowling alley.
Here’s how we made it.
- Tin cans/plastic bottles. 7-11 the real number actually depends on how many you can fit in your playing space.
- Some paints.
- A cheap plastic bowling bowl.
- The tin cans/plastic bottles are to be painted and numbered. You can get creative with the designs on them or you can just paint them black.
- Arrange them in a horizontal pyramid and voila. You can an indoor bowling alley
5. Paper toss
This is basically the game for which the famous paper toss app was created. When a few office employees were bored they got together and started tossing paper balls made of rough papers into the dust bin. You do the same game but without the paper. You can use a bucket and a softball, or a cup and a ping pong ball.
For the purpose of competition, you can draw lines at specific distances and assign points for the same. For example, you can make 3 marks 3ft apart from each other. The farthest marker will yield the highest points. The person who scores the highest points wins.
Cards are not only for magic but they are super fun and engaging to play. By cards, I don’t mean poker but I mean card games like UNO, or Pokemon cards or normal card games don’t involve money like hearts. UNO is by far the best card game I have ever played and kids love it too. Yes, the rules are a bit complex. But with google by your side, you have nothing to worry about. You can buy an original pack of UNO on amazon or similar first copies in your local stores for a cheaper price if that’s what you are into.
This game is gonna get your home a bit messy and soapy for that matter. Kids love though, there is no kid on this planet who doesn’t have fun getting messy. So here’s what you’ll need to do for this indoor activity:
- Dish soap
- Take a drop or two of dishwashing soap on a plate.
- Add a little water and mix it slowly until small bubbles or suds start to form.
- Ask the kids to dip the straw into the suds and blow gently and slowly.
- Just watch as a big bubble starts to form on the plate.
For the sake of competition, you can say the person who makes the biggest bubble wins the game.
8. Stories from a box
This is more of a creative indoor activity for your kids. It will boost your child’s creativity and storytelling ability. This is probably my favorite activity.
The materials you need for this:
- Random materials
- Decorating items like paints, glitter, etc.
- A pair of scissors.
Here’s how you make it:
- Cut a hole on the side of the box.
- Decorate the whole box nicely. You can even get your kids to do it, they’ll have a blast.
- Add a bunch of random items can close the box.
- Now ask your kid to put their hand in from the hole and take out a random object. It can be anything a pencil, a pen, a shell, a leaf, etc. They have to form a short origin story for this thing. It should be more than 100 words.
9. Reading books
Reading books is a great pastime for kids. It is said that reading storybooks is the best of self-learning in children. Kids can easily relate to the lead character and understand how they behave and what they learn. Here are some of the most popular children’s books.
Check out our article ‘IMPORTANCE OF BOOKS IN CHILD DEVELOPMENT – TOP 6 BENEFITS’ to know more about the benefits of reading for children and toddlers.
Kids need to play, run, jump. It is very crucial that they spend all the energy they have, positively, and not sitting at home playing video games. Yes, video games have proven benefits, but the side effects are greater than the benefits. The activities/games mentioned in this article are the best and the easiest ones to do indoor. They will help your kids spend all the energy they have. Hope y’all like this article.
Check out our other articles on sports here –
- 7 BEST SPORTS TO BRING POSITIVE DEVELOPMENT IN CHILDREN
- 14 WORLD SPORTS YOU CAN BRING INDOOR FOR YOUR KIDS
- ROLE OF PARENTS IN SPORTS
- 5 MUST KNOW REASONS WHY CHILDREN SHOULD PLAY SPORTS